Options for Immigrants Related to US Citizens
US citizens are able to petition for family members, including spouses, parents, children and siblings, to become permanent residents and start on the path to citizenship. There are numerous visa types for family members of US citizens; our firm advises clients about the category that fits their circumstances:

  • FB-1 First Preference – Unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens.
  • FB-2 Third Preference – Married sons and daughters of US citizens.
  • FB-4 Fourth Preference – Brothers and sisters of US citizens.
  • K-1 and K-3 Fiancée Visas – Fiancées of US citizens are eligible for these non-immigrant visas that are good for 90 days
  • K-3 Visas – For spouses of US citizens whose petition for permanent residency has not been approved and forwarded to the US consulate in the spouse’s home country.

Options for Families of Permanent Residents
Permanent residents (holders of “green cards”) are able to petition for permanent residency for family members under the following visa programs:

  • FB-2 Second Preference – Spouses and unmarried children and sons and daughters of permanent residents.
  • V Visas – Spouses or children or lawful permanent residents, if the permanent resident has filed a petition for the spouse or child before December 21, 2000 and the petition is still pending.

Other Options
Citizens and permanent residents of the US can seek other visa types for their family members. Our attorneys will help clients review their options to determine whether these visa programs might be effective. Visit our main family immigration page for information about other visa programs.